Once upon a time there was a young (not that young) first time Mum scrolling through Facebook and avoiding housework while the baby slept (for like 45 minutes tops) when a picture popped up in my feed (I think it was one of those “suggested post” type things) and it was a handmade clothing business. I clicked into it and after a quick scroll, I followed and bought my first handmade item for Michael. I can’t recall the business name now, but it doesn’t matter because soon I spiralled into a blackhole (albeit a pretty blackhole) of handmade Facebook pages, I followed every one that I came across, the next leading me to the next and then just like that I struck handmade pay dirt…THE HANDMADE SHOWCASE!!!
Sadly they are not as prolific as they once were as they are an amazing way to discover handmaidens, their products, fabric ranges etc. The general gist of them are as follows;
- Usually one handmade business (sometimes more) hosts the showcase, setting a theme that is quite often based around a fabric range;
- they invite other handmade businesses to create items in that theme;
- the items then all go up for purchase on a set date and time on the hosts Facebook page which are collated in an album;
- Once the showcase opens it is every man, woman and child for themselves and you better have your fingers on the ‘S-O-L-D’ keys because there can be some real competition over certain items;
- If you are the first person to comment sold (remembering the album must be open) you are then required to contact the seller and arrange payment;
- Congratulations you are now the owner of some handmade awesomeness!
So I am here to tell you, that you might want to start warming up your fingers because tonight there is one helluva beautiful showcase happening over at Blooms and Butterflies Doll Studio’s Facebook page. Hot tip, read the ‘Terms and Conditions’ which are in the album description, so if you do want to purchase something you know how it works and then feast your eyes on all the pretty!!!
With permission from the amazing handmade businesses involved in tonight’s showcase I have all the pictures here so you can have a quick look and then go straight over to the showcase album for all the details and prices
So let’s kick it off with the host Blooms and Butterflies Doll Studio submissions;
Submission from Three Kittens
Submission from Foxes Hill
Submissions from Squirrel and Fink
Submissions from Piccolo Studio
Submission from Felt in Bloom
Submission from Bunyetska Handmade
Submissions from My China Doll
Submissions from Ellie’s Handmade
Submissions from Rhapsody and Thread
Submission from Chook Shed Designs
So remember tonight at 8:30pm (AESDT) the album opens to sale and there may be a little ‘early shopper pass’ up for grabs a few hours beforehand, so keep an eye out for that at Blooms and Butterflies Doll Studio’s Facebook page